Dear Snarky – I’m Invited to a Teacher’s Lingerie Shower

Dear Snarky,

I just left my daughter’s second grade Valentine’s Day party and I’m sitting in my car typing this letter to you because I’m so mad. At the party the two room moms were handing out invitations to a bridal shower for the teacher who is getting married over spring break. No big deal except that the bridal shower is a lingerie party and the teacher is registered at Victoria’s Secret. If that’s not enough the lingerie shower will be held in the classroom after school in two weeks while the kids play outside.

I wouldn’t mind everyone chipping in $5 gift card BUT a lingerie shower – Are you kidding me?  I don’t want to know my kid’s teacher’s underwear size or what kind of bra she wears. I pay a lot of money for my child to attend a catholic school and none of this says Christian education to me.

Do I say something to the room moms about the party theme or just not go?

Signed, Speechlessscreen-shot-2017-02-21-at-1-44-02-pm

Dear Speechless,

I share your angst. I want to right now go on record as saying an elementary school classroom is no place for a Victoria’s Secret cheekster thong. Are these room moms high? Has the teacher temporarily lost her mind due to extreme wedding planning fatigue? None of this okay.

It’s beyond inappropriate for parents to host a lingerie shower for a teacher. I don’t care if the lingerie is from Walmart. It’s still not cool. If the room moms want to throw a party it should be a joint Bed, Bath and Beyond gift certificate from the class with cards from the kids and some cupcakes.

Next, the very thought of the innocence of a second grade classroom being sullied with Victoria’s Secret push up bras and other unmentionables is all kinds of wrong. Lingerie and reading charts should never be mixed. At best the whole situation reeks of extreme awkwardness.

And yes no parent should ever know a teacher’s panty preference.

I would get with some other like-minded moms, and by that I mean mothers who aren’t crazy, and see if you can talk the room moms into changing the shower theme. Use the excuse that you want it be something the kids could be a part of like a kitchen shower. I also think the teacher needs a stern talking to from her principal. How could she have agreed to this! I don’t care how pushy these room moms are a good teacher needs to be able to say NO All. Day. Long.

*If you have a question for Dear Snarky – 21st Century Advice With An Attitude – please email me at snarkyinthesuburbs@gmail.com or send me a PM on the Snarky Facebook page.

11 thoughts on “Dear Snarky – I’m Invited to a Teacher’s Lingerie Shower

1. AthenaC says:

Snarky’s advice is definitely better than mine. I would go buy some cheap nipple clamps, whips, and whatever else is trendy for faux-BDSM types (i.e. 50 shades fans).

Hey – if that’s not what she wanted, she shouldn’t have opened Pandora’s Box.

2. Suzie says:

What’s the big deal? Why can’t teachers have nice lingerie? The mom who wrote the letter sounds like a real prude and a buzz kill. It’s not like it’s a sex toy party.

• Joy says:

Suzie. Please think about what you’re asking here. If a teacher wants to do that sort of thing, then let it be on her own personal time. Certainly not at school. A child could walk in at any moment. That mother has every right to complain.

3. GRANDMAChris says:

Snarky is absolutely right. Someone should copy Snarky’s reply. If necessary make up a new email account with unidentifiable email address and send it to the teacher, and airhead moms that came up with this idea. In addition, this same email should be forwarded to the school’s principal with a question about “what is wrong with this picture.” It is horrible that public teachers have introduced politics including pink pussy hats into elementary classrooms but REALLY a Catholic private school. DISGUSTING

4. Meg Glenn says:

It blows my mind that someone needs to have this talk with them. So I’m not the lingerie shower type to begin with, and REALLY not in that situation. Bless their hearts.

5. Joy says:

Oh my! I can’t believe they would allow such a thing to occur – and AT SCHOOL! That’s horrible! What kind of a role model do they think they’re being for the students ?? So sad. Yet one more reason why I homeschool.

6. Homeskoolers Untie! says:

Holy Moly! Underwear for a teacher! At a school! Don’t those women no it’s no-fun-zone?! What is the world coming to?! Giving a teacher a nightgown or some nice powder? Heavens to Betsy! By all means, take it up with the principal! Embarrass the moms and the teacher! It’s not like your daughter won’t be in school with their kids for the next ten years or anything.