1295793810-dysfunctional-family_500Dear Snarky,

My mother-in-law is literally buying herself gifts and trying to pass them off as presents for my two daughters. She collects Lladro ceramics and every Christmas and birthday she “gives” my daughters a ceramic figurine and then tells them that she is going to keep them at her house and they can have them when “they get married.”

Puh-leez – it’s total BS! First what 3 & 5 year olds want ceramic statues??!! She’s fooling no one. I am so over it that I told my husband we should NOT get his mother a present because she’s yet to buy her granddaughters one.

What would you do Snarky? I have a feeling you would have my back.

Signed,  So Pissed Off

Dear Pissed,

Your mother-in-law sounds like a real winner and I think you should get this delightful and caring woman a fantastic present befitting her generosity.

I suggest selecting a gift that her granddaughters would LOVE like say one of those Barbie Jeeps and get your mother-in-law that for Christmas and tell her in a voice dripping with sweetness that you’ll be keeping it at your house and she can visit it anytime she wants.

That will let her know that you know exactly the con she is trying to pull and that this is the way you’re going to deal with her skewed version of gift giving and then if you feel like it flip her the middle finger when she’s not looking.

Oh and don’t let anyone tell you that those figurines are going to be worth a lot of money in twenty years and your MIL is investing in her granddaughters’ futures because I would bet good money, like ceramic statue money, that your girls will probably never get those expensive collectibles.

8 thoughts on “Dear Snarky – My Mother-In-Law Buys Gifts For My Kids and Then Keeps Them for Herself

1. Scott B says:

The Barbie Jeep would truly be a gift to the grandmother as she can come over and enjoy seeing her grandkids play with that gift at any time. What a true blessing.

2. Roe says:

The MIL sounds like a total turd. Who treats their granddaughters like that? I love your advice and props for not suggesting that the husband have a talk with his mother because we know that never works. This woman needs to follow your advice and take that bull by the horns.

3. Joyce says:

I’m a grandma to 7 and I would never do that to my grandkids! The fun of being a grandma is getting your grandkids exactly what they want and then enjoying them enjoying their presents. Also at my age you don’t need to collect any more knick-knacks. The only thing I want to collect is grandkid kisses.

4. Jeanine says:

Maybe the expensive “gifts” will be worth something in 20 years, but, currently, the resale value of “collectibles”. Is pretty much $0.00.

5. Just a thought says:

I would find out what charity or cause she is against and you are for and then send them money in her name. She can have a lovely certificate of thanks and you do not have to have anymore toys in your house. If you can, make it a monthly donation so every month during the year a lovely reminder is sent her way. Because it’s all about thinking of others. If you get a toy that she has to visit then she might come to the house. Who needs that?

6. Donnadon says:

About 20 years ago I paid $400 for one of those Llardro figurines. I’ve tried selling it and can’t get rid of it for $50. Grandma is def being a turd for buying gifts for her granddaughters that are really gifts for herself. I love the opposite charity idea too.