Dear Snarky – A Family Member Is Killing Our TV Buzz

Dear Snarky,

My cousin is driving my entire family crazy. Her new thing is to tell everyone about how bad TV is and to constantly point out that her family doesn’t even own a TV because she’s raising “better citizens of the world.”

It wouldn’t be so bad if she didn’t come to family get togethers when we’re watching awards shows or  football and  constantly bitch about TV. She even posts on social media about the evils of owning a television.

b0f941a510839a9aff7c97e959e8cf14 I need something that will make her stop so she doesn’t ruin the Superbowl and the Oscars. Can you help?

Signed, I Love TV

Dear Love TV,

The easiest thing to do would be to simply not invite her. Why haven’t you thought of that? Don’t be afraid to say, “We didn’t think you would be interested because there would be a TV on and we know how that’s a trigger for your non medicated issues.” (Okay, that maybe a little mean so feel free to sweeten that sentence up.)

My guess though is that you cousin is a fraud. If she’s posting on social media with her smart phone than she’s probably also watching an assortment of yummy television shows on her phone, on her tablet, on her laptop, desktop or all of the above.

So, the next time your cousin gets on her high horse inform her that a screen is screen. It doesn’t matter if its 52 inches or 5. The American Academy of Pediatrics says in terms of viewing time it all counts the same. This means unless your cousin is ready to go completely screen free she needs to change the channel to shut up.

If you have a question for Dear Snarky “21st Century Advice With An Attitude” email at snarkyinthesuburbs@gmail.com or private message me on my Snarky Facebook page.

7 thoughts on “Dear Snarky – A Family Member Is Killing Our TV Buzz

1. Love My TV says:

Ugh. I think there is one of those in every family. Good luck with not inviting the TV whiner because we tired that with my sister and of course she showed up anyway because I think she loved feeling “superior.”

2. Kat says:

This person is on par with the friend or relative that pops over when you are trying to watch a show and they sit down uninvited and proceed to recite the lines of EVERYONE in the show verbatim or casually blurt out the spoilers . I have some relatives that do that and it’s getting more difficult to hear the movies anyway and I have to really concentrate on the dialog with them doing their blow by blow dialog or worse talking about what other things. I’m even resorting to putting the subtitle screen up for the hearing impaired so I can at least read it.. To this lady I would suggest phone off the hook and a do not disturb sign on the doors. I think you are correct about she’s probably seeing TV in another form though. It could be that she has one idea of what TV means, the kind opposite a sofa. If all else fails be blunt with the TV Police and tell her how annoying she is and it’s your home .So be quiet or leave. Not all TV is a wasteland, You have to be selective and do the research before you give up an hour or two of your life…

3. Donnadon says:

Right on Snarky. Whenever we go to a family gathering people usually start talking about something they saw on TV. When I don’t make a comment I get “the look” and then I tell them we don’t have TV. Then I get an astonished “you don’t TV”. I have to clarify we don’t have cable or satellite and then the inevitable 3rd degree kicks in. We have a television but we use it for watching movies. We don’t do it to feel superior; it’s a money thing. We can’t afford it in our area.

• Jeanine says:

Out of antenna range, too? We just have an antenna on the roof (previous place, on the balcony and watched only what was free. Saved a ton of money over the last 20 years.

• Donnadon says:

Probably not since we live in town. We just choose not to deal with the distraction of the TV. We both read a lot and if we want news there is always newspapers or the internet. Now when we go visit family or take a trip; that’s a different story. We watch whatever they watch on TV and enjoy it.

4. Pam says:

Have a special “no screens” family night for the usual sports/awards shows crowd….play board games, talk about old times, etc, etc, ….but put everyone’s phones, tablets, etc in a basket. Do this about a week before the Super Bowl. I bet everyone, “superior screen saver” included, will be surprised at how much screen time they all use.
    Bet your awards shows and football games will have a lot less harping lol