Dear Snarky,

I have a new brother-in-law who is so annoying every time I’m forced to spend time with him I get a stress rash. He thinks he’s the authority on all topics and talks down to women. I’m 8 months pregnant and the final straw was when he “mansplained” to me that pain during childbirth is a myth made up by women to make their husbands feel bad.

I couldn’t help myself and I went off on him even yelling my sister that it wasn’t too late to get her marriage annulled. Now, as you can imagine, there’s a huge rift between my sister and I and she’s demanding an apology. I want to tell her – that’s never going to happen. Am I right to stand my ground on this one?

Signed, Pregnant & Angry

Dear Pregnant,

Idiots, especially idiots who think childbirth is a pain-free process, a veritable walk in the park on a sunny, spring afternoon, don’t deserve apologies. If anyone should get the “I’m sorry” it’s you.

Sure, you might have screamed that your sister should get her marriage annulled, but I would consider that a community service not an act of aggression. You new brother-in-law needs to learn when to keep his uniformed opinions to himself and your sister needs to quit defending him and start demanding that he thinks before he speaks.

So girlfriend, you and your big, beautiful, baby bump need to stand proud and perhaps think about sharing some of the magic of labor with your brother-in-law by sending him audio texts of you “enjoying” what he calls a pain-free experience.

*If you have a question for Dear Snarky – 21st Century Advice With an Attitude 😉 – email me at snarkyinthesuburbs@gmail.com or PM on my Snarky FB page.

9 thoughts on “Dear Snarky – My “Mansplaining” Brother-In-Law Just Told Me Pain During Childbirth Was A Myth

1. Pam says:

Let it go. He’s not worth it.

If this marriage survives long enough for them to have kids, I’m thinking your sister will either have “mom-splained” a few things to him, or she will need your support in the L&D room.

2. Linda Ramos says:

See if any of your local hospitals or obgyn doctors have the device that a man can wear to simulate labor pains and then dare that asshole to try it. I’ll bring the popcorn.

3. Jamie Girard says:

Tell him that when he passes a stone the size of a golf ball through his penis that it will simulate a feeling close to the pain of giving birth. For the labor pains, he will need to be kicked in the crotch every five minutes for roughly three hours.

4. Donna says:

Linda Ramos, I was about to suggest the same thing. I watched a video on YouTube where two guys were filmed trying it out. They came away with a healthy respect for women going thru labor.

5. Donna Aldridge says:

I was told something along the same lines from my stepson. I told him to go to the family graveyard. One of his ancestors had FOUR wives die in childbirth. He didn’t have an answer for that.

6. Kim says:

Where do idiots get these ideas? No one dumb enough to say this to his 8 month pregnant sister-in-law is smart enough to think of this idea on his own.

7. Sarah Beth says:

amen to skipping the apology. sorry not sorry. f*#k that nonsense. be sure to tell your brother in law to wrap his package…Earth doesn’t need his spawn.