Dear Snarky – The Jilted Bride

Dear Snarkymime-attachment1

My daughter recently had to call off her wedding because the groom (with urging, I’m sure, from his mother) decided right after the rehearsal dinner that “he couldn’t go through with it.” You can only imagine the heartbreak and embarrassment, with a capital E, this has caused my daughter.

I want to submit a bill to the groom’s parents for half of the wedding costs since their son called off the wedding and since the mother of the groom kept on insisting she had to invite more family members and friends ballooning the guest list to well over 250 people for a seven course sit down dinner.

Do you think this is the right thing to do? I don’t care about the etiquette of it, I’m way past caring about that. I just want to know if you would do this?

Signed, Mother of the Almost Bride

Dear M.O.B.

I say go for it! You will probably not get one penny from the groom or his parents, but if it makes you feel better, is an outlet for your anger, and helps you heal than let them have it. Kick some butt and send them a detailed itemized bill. Or knock yourself out and do an excel spreadsheet and really stick it to them.

Just get it all out of your system, then hug your daughter, and count your blessings. It hurts right now, but the emotional cost is far less than what it would have been if your daughter had married a man who wasn’t  worthy enough to be her husband.

If you have a question for Dear Snarky “21st Century Advice With An Attitude” email me at snarkyinthesuburbs@gmail.com.

11 thoughts on “Dear Snarky – The Jilted Bride

1. Mom Meets Blog says:

Hilarious! Yes, send them a detailed, itemized bill printed on heavy card stock and include a self addressed stamped envelope so they can RSVP with a check for their half of the wedding costs – bastards!

2. amy says:

I’m sorry, what a horrible expense, and maybe the caterers etc can give a partial refund. Very tragic, but better to see the ugly underside of that family now and break free than be saddled with their emotional manipulation and baggage for decades to come. Think of it as a close call. A lifetime commitment to that mother-in-law nonsense would surely have been worse than this disaster. Also, since 250 people were invited at MIL’s insistence, so that she could then strong arm her son into calling it off, reflects even worse on her family. I would think it would be worth it to send every single one of them a little card announcing the groom’s family’s decision. I mean someboby’s gotta let them know, right?

• Wedding Planner says:

If only the caterer would give a refund – that falls under never going to happen. Calling off a wedding the evening before means the bride’s family is on the hook for everything – food, flowers, venue rental etc. You betcha I would send the groom and his parents a great, big bill.

3. Dar says:

Submit the entire bill to them. They called it off it is on them to make restitution to everyone. Take the money you would have spent on the wedding and use it for a dream vacation for all of you.

4. quiltinbysea says:

Missed a bullet there.
    Can you just imagine the awful life your daughter would have had with a M.I.L. like that!!

5. Applemoma says:

I am wondering if you have legal recourse?
    I think the lack of follow through on a commitment, needs to carry responsibility.

Especially due to the fact that the groom to he’s family , increased the cost of the event.
    Perhaps mediation or litigation is possible.
    You can get a free consultation.
    Other ideas like a trip and being grateful sound amazing.

6. Kathy says:

I agree with Applemoma….I have heard of jilted families taking legal action in small claims court. Do some internet research about this and attach what documentation you find to the bill you give them. Tell them either they pay up or they are going to court.

7. Kathy says:

This is just one of many stories about jilted grooms/brides suing…http://abcnews.go.com/Business/jilted-bride-sues-groom-95000/story?id=12403921
    Good Luck!